Instance has a process running constantly

From: DAR <nospam_at_nospam.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:52:38 GMT

When my instance of Oracle is running, my hard drive light is constantly glowing. No applications are running. When I display Window's Task Manager and view Processes, ORACLE80.EXE is using a large share of Memory (Mem Usage) and CPU. The CPU and Mem Usage constantly change. If I stop this instance of Oracle, my hard drive light stops glowing.

When I query the table sys.gv_$session_event, the row where "event" = "db file sequential read" and "sid" = 5 has it's "total_waits" in the tens of millions. Every time I requery, it increases rapidly.

I have other PC on my network, but the problem occurs whether they're turned on or off.

I've turned on auditing but I'm not sure what to audit. I have 5 or 6 tablespaces.

I'm running Oracle 8.0.5 on Win 2000 Pro. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Received on Tue Sep 25 2001 - 16:52:38 CDT