Re: Session status SNIPED

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:25:01 +0200

"Mario" <mtechera_at_wpmc.com> wrote in message news:65c992b1.0109250749.4728a66a_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello Everyone:
>
> In monitoring sessions, Oracle sets sessions to SNIPED
> when they have used up their idle time quota assigned to
> the user's profile.
>
> The Oracle documentations defines SNIPED as:
> "session inactive, waiting on the client"
>
> I am administering a large intranet application and this happens VERY
> often and I get literally dozens of sniped sessions. At some point
> Oracle decides to clean them up and they disappear.
>
> What exactly is responsible for cleaning up the SNIPED sessions?
> Is there any way to set the clean-up process frequency?
>
> Regards to all,
> MT

PMON would normally clean them up.

An alternative is enabling Dead Connection Detection, by setting sqlnet.expire_time to something non-zero (the unit is minutes) in sqlnet.ora on the server and restart the listener.
My experiences with DCD regrettably aren't very positive, but it might work for you.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Sep 25 2001 - 12:25:01 CDT