Re: Oracle and Netapps

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_brandeis.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 13:22:43 -0400

> 1. Disk contention: Seems like this would be a major problem.

We've been using a NetApp for a bunch of Oracle DBs on (3) machines since July -- performance has not been a problem mainly, IMHO, because the NetApp does so much caching (in addition to whatever the databases are doing...)

> 2. Single point of failure: If you needed to do any kind of maintenance,
> or had problems seems like you'd have to shut all databases down.

True which is why some people use NetApp clusters. OTOH the NetApp can be configured with almost everything redundant including power supply..

> 3. Manageability of multiple versions: If you have multiple versions all
> residing under the $ORACLE_BASE/product/8.1.6, ../8.1.7, etc directory,
and
> these are shared between all servers, seems like it would be a pain to
> remember which database is running which version.

You should not have to rememeber -- the oratab takes care of that!

> Again, I'm not familiar with how Netapps work, so if I'm just looking for
> some comments from people already using Netapps.

We like it... Received on Tue Sep 25 2001 - 12:22:43 CDT