Re: pb with one datafile

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 25 Sep 2001 01:26:17 -0700

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<tqsje3kr1jkk0a_at_news.demon.nl>...
> You can always try that, but as I said most likely the SCNs will mismatch,
> so you are forced to perform recovery. If those transactions are not in the
> online redolog files, you are toast.

He has one more option. He can drop deleted tablespace, recreate new one and then do recovery from offline backup on some other server. Then he can transfer data from recovered tablespace to recreated one. He will lost only transaction in lost tablespace. I know that this is not a nice solution, but he is in bad situation. Bad situations sometimes needs bad solutions.
However he can have a terrible issues with foreign key dependencies between tables in different tablespaces. He can also encounter problem with violated business logic. As I said there is no nice resolution to this mess.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.