install Oracle client AND personal on same PC

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:18:02 +0100

Morning all,

I have an 'internal customer' who needs (his words) to have Oracle client for NT and personal; Oracle for NT installed on his laptop. We have done this before and always ended up having major problems due to PATHs etc which caused both apps to stop woring properly. The solution was always to bin one or other and that was it.

I can't believe that this is the correct solution, and I have raised a TAR (or will do when I can get onto the web site - it seems to be timing out all the time now) but I'd like a second opinion please :

	has anyone done this successfully ?
	is it advisable ?
	is it a good idea ?
	I'll be using 8.1.7 for the exercise

I suspect the best way is to install both into the same Oracle_home but which one first - it's easy when you want two versions of client on the same PC - simply install the oldest first, then the newest, set the TNS_ADMIN environment variable/registry setting and off you go - but which order is best for these two apps ?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Norman.

PS. I have read the installation docs - no help. I have tried to find information on MetaLink - seems to be all about having multiple client versions.

Norman Dunbar			EMail:	Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
Database/Unix administrator	Phone:	0113 289 6265
				Fax:	0113 289 3146
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	URL:	http://www.Lynx-FS.com