Re: Prepatation on a W2k-installation for Oracle

From: Paul Drake <paledHOWMUCHSPAMCANYOUEAT_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:59:24 GMT

Matthias Nyendick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we need to setup a w2k-Server for running an Oracle-Server.
>
> We have:
> 1x Raid-Controller (1 Channel, U160, Raid 0,1,5,10)
> 5x 18GB, U160
>
> We want redundacy for OS and Oracle-Server.
> How should we setup the drives?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Matthias Nyendick

That's a rather backward way of looking at it. You are far better off to define the requirements of the database(s) to be used, and specify the hardware from that requirement.

configure it as 2 RAID 1 mirrored sets with a hot spare.

give yourself a 4 GB boot partition (C:). allow a 4 GB partition for Oracle binaries (D:) - more if you run iAS and other app servers on this box.
make the rest of the first RAID volume partition E:. Make the second RAID volume F:.

Oracle Binaries go on D:
Oradata on E: and F:.
E: - online redo logs, system
F: - everything else.

after you realize that you do not have sufficient I/O capabilities, add additional drives in pairs to create more RAID 1 volumes.

hth,

Paul Received on Mon Sep 24 2001 - 10:59:24 CDT