Re: Restricting access to DBA

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 24 Sep 2001 07:39:26 -0700

chandrut_at_hotmail.com (Chandrasekar Tiruvuru) wrote in message news:<36fbcf56.0109240027.1dd81caa_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> How to restrict access to the DBAs for some tables containing
> confidential information? The version of Oracle that my company runs
> is 8.1.7/8.1.6 running on Aix 4.3.3

Interesting question. Your HR department has got fears ? :-) Oracle DBAs needs really extensive rights to do their tasks, so covering some table from Oracle DBAs is very difficult. Even if you manage it for example by audit, with these rights is no problem to cover tracks. I think that you can't achieve your goal by internal Oracle tools. I do not know your application, but maybe you can store encrypted informations and decrypt them in front end.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.