Re: Newbie DBA needs help with a particular network log file

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 15:49:41 GMT

Mario Mendes wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> One of my Oracle servers is login to a file in the following path:
>
> Drive:\OracleHome\Network\Log
>
> The name of the file is fslINSTANCENAME.log
>
> this file is getting bigger and bigger and I can't seem to find any
> documentation on what this file is about or how to start/stop this logging.
>
> The file is currently 750Mb.
>
> Any information with regards to this file would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mario

Mario,

for altering the configuration of the file check the file Drive:\OracleHome\Network\Admin\sqlnet.ora or use the Net*8 Assistant tool:

start - programs - Oracle-OraHome81 - Network Administration - Net*8 Assistant

expand "Local" and highlight the "LISTENER" entry select the option "General Parameters"
and select the panel "Logging and Tracing"

You should see the path of the log file there.

Basically, you can "Groom" this file by stopping the listener, renaming the file and restarting the listener. Its a good idea to make that a weekly ritual, included in a batch job.
If you perform cold backups of the database(s), why not rename the file while the listener is stopped - while the database is offline.

Others have recommended the use of a minimum of 2 listeners, with client configuration files (or names servers) setup to try either listener. In this manner, you can stop a listener for grooming log and/or trace files while still accepting incoming connections.

Beware of stopping listeners while running MTS with users connected.

hth,

Paul Received on Sat Sep 22 2001 - 10:49:41 CDT