Re: Any experts here?

From: Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 20:49:20 +0800

On 21 Sep 2001 14:19:00 GMT, ftp <shyan_at_cse.cuhk.edu.hk> wrote:

>MT <mtechera_at_wpmc.com> wrote:
>I'm using Oracle8i
>What is the different between different version?
>Also, what is Net8?

Net8 or SQL*Net is the native Oracle procotol, and ODBC is an open proctol, with the former you can connect only to Oracle (but natviely), while with the latter you can connect to Access, FoxPro, and Oracle, as long as you have the ODBC driver.

>> You didn't mention what version of Oracle (client & server)
>> you are using, but if you want, you can install the client (Net8 and SQL*Plus)
>> from Oracle Forms CD which includes the Open Connectivity Adapter.
>> This allows you to use SQL*Plus with ODBC source (such as FoxPro
>> or MS Access) and even use the SQL*Plus COPY command that will allow
>> you to copy data from one source to the other.
>
>> Regards,
>> Mario
>

>> "ftp" <shyan_at_cse.cuhk.edu.hk> wrote in message news:9oejos$jip$3_at_eng-ser1.erg.cuhk.edu.hk...
>>> Can I import a Microsoft Foxpro database into Oracle? If I can, how can I
>>> do that?
>>> It seems that Oralce cannot import FoxPro database. Is it true?
>>>
>>> If possible, please reply me by e-mail.
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --

I try to summarize the suggestions from Ethan & MT as follows: 1.Ethan: Use FoxPro to connect to both FoxPro (native) and Oracle (ODBC)
2.MT: Use SQL*Plus to connect to both FoxPro (Open Connectivity Adapter) and Oracle (native)
Since you don't even know Net8, I suppose the 1st method is good for you. Although the 2nd method enables you to use the SQL*Plus command "copy", but I doubt you know SQL*Plus.

HTH,
Dino Received on Sat Sep 22 2001 - 07:49:20 CDT