Re: Crash recovery is not working, any ideas?

From: Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 20:28:30 +0800

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:25:15 -0500, Nancy Holland-Johnson <nancy_at_aqssys.com> wrote:

>We have an Oracle server (7.3.4.0.0) on an NT box that was performing a
>crash recovery this morning and wasn't successful. This is a snippet of
>messages in the alert log file:
>
>snip
>
>We looked up the error message for 1172 and it tells us to recover the
>datafile that contains that block.

A database can run in either archivelog or noarchivelog mode. In archivelog mode, you can copy back the corrupt data file and recover the data file or the tablespace using the archived redo log files. In noarchivelog mode, you cannot recover just the corrupt data file, you can only restore all control files, data files and on-line redo log files from a previous "cold backup" and lose all changes after the backup. Note that recovery is performed in the "mount" database status (control file opened but data files not), and remember to make a full & cold backup before you begin. (in case you fail) I started working with Oracle since version 8, and I am not sure of difference with version 7, but the basic concept is probably the same.

>OK, here's the hard part. None of us here are Oracle DBA's and we've
>been winging it with this box with no serious problems until now. We
>really need someone to point out to us how to recover from this error.
Situations like this can happen when the only one DBA leaves, and it's hard to find a new one yet. However, if you have bought maintenance contract with Oracle, the techincal support (by telephone) is pretty good from my experience, you can get more timely and interactive help than from a news group.

>We tried going into the Recovery manager tool but were unable to do
>anything in there and we were uncertain as to what we should be doing.
>The other tools we tried required us to login which failed because
>Oracle isn't up and running. We have a limited understanding of Oracle
>and the message for the error is telling us to do things we don't know
>how to do.

Probably you don't have to use Recovery Manager to recover, when you didn't use it to backup in the first place. Moreover, Recovery Manager is not easy to use, it requires careful studying before it is useful.

>Help?
>
>Nancy Holland-Johnson
>
>Should we restore the entire machine from backup tapes? Can we somehow
Please give information about how you made the backup so that we can judge. If a file system backup is done when Oracle database is up, the backup of Oracle is useless.

HTH
Dino Received on Sat Sep 22 2001 - 07:28:30 CDT