Re: OFA on a single disk system

From: Glenn Goslin <glenng_at_iafrica.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 20:25:32 +0200

As far as I know the reason for OFA is to avoid disk contention. I'm not sure that partitioning the disk will make a difference, because all the io still goes through the same disk controller. I may be wrong about that.

I had a similar dilema, until I read that you could get away with a single disk installation in a development enviroment with less than 5 users(can't recall exactly where I read that).

In the end I created 3 partitions : the operating system(linux), oracle program files(8.1.6) and the database. I don't have a major problem, but then it is just me connecting to the database. I have repository and the application tables in the same database. I noticed that when working with Designer 6i, the performance is terrible, but doing stuff from Forms 6i and SQL*Plus is not a problem. I recently upgraded the memory to 512mb(It was 128mb without repository). This did make a difference.

It may be worth your while to not use the second disk as a mirror and keep the operating system and oracle program files one a seperate disk to the database files.

According to the Oracle 8i DBA Handbook, you should try to isolate the system tablespace if at all possible, because every query accesses the data dictionary which resides in the system tablespace. And of course make sure that no users can create tables in the system tablespace. The next step is put the indexes on a seperate device, then rollback segments ........

With 2 disks you could also spread the control files and redo logs across the disks.

Glenn