Re: Oracle basics

From: Howard Rogers <Howard.Rogers_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:19:57 +1000

The gold-plated version of Oracle advice would run: One box per database, one application per database.

But that's (obviously) a rather expensive call to purity and best practice.

So yes, people do create multiple databases per box. Theoretically, you can achieve the same thing by having multiple application-specific tablespaces within the one database -but then you hit the problem that if one Instance fails, all applications are out of commission until it's fixed; all applications get backed up or not; all applications generate redo or not; and since you tune one database, you can't really hope for optimal tuning for any one application -it's all a bit of a compromise.

I think I'd rather see multiple databases myself, if you must do it. Sure, there are then complicated interactions between each database to work out, but failure of one won't impact the others, tuning is still problematic, but is (I think) a bit easier and a bit less of a compromise all round, and with different databases you have potentially different backup strategies.

So: ideally not. But in practice, a lot of people do.

Regards