Re: Oracle basics

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 04:45:28 +1000

Try to cut down on the use of extraneous white space.

There's no 'create database' command, because that was issued a long while back. When you issue the create database command, you get one system tablespace, comprised of one system datafile. Every *other* tablespace (and datafile) has to be added in manually by issuing 'create tablespace' commands.

Physically, an Oracle database is a collection of control files, data files and online redo logs, as you said. But yes, a weak-ish logical description of an Oracle database is that it is a collection of one or more tablespaces (the "one" it must be made up of is, of course, SYSTEM).

Regards