Re: Oracle Name server

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 04:20:56 +1000

"Al Wilson" <wilson_at_email.chop.edu> wrote in message news:slmq7.7313$ym4.296794_at_iad-read.news.verio.net...
> I would like to know why you bother answer a question if you are going to
be
> rude about it.
> If you read the original post, I *said* that I was just wanted to see if
it
> would be helpful.
> That is the purpose of newsgroups.

Look Al: you were told in the first post that it's sort of like a DNS server. That it resolves service names into host:port:sid addresses so that the Client doesn't have to do that for itself using a tnsnames file.

How much more information do you need to determine whether it will be "helpful" for Heaven's sake? Is DNS "helpful" for a home network? Probably not. Is it helpful when resolving Internet IP addresses by the million? Yes. Same with Names Server. You got 1000 client PCs? It will be helpful. You got 10? It probably is more hassle than it's worth.

> I didn't say I wasn't going to bother with the documentation, I was merely
> checking
> with Oracle experts if my understanding of what a OracleNamesServer was
> correct, before
> I tried to to locate this document and delve into a technicals.. It might
> have been that OracleNames Server
> was something completely else.

No. What you have gone on to ask is *details* about not just Names Server but the entire Net8 architecture (like "where does sqlnet.ora reside?"). And it is no purpose of the newsgroups to substitute for reading the supplied documentation where such detail (and the principles underlying them) is explained at great length. You had the answer to "would it be helpful" way back in reply 1.

If you found my answer rude, well, I'm sorry about that. I don't try to be. As you point out, I did actually answer your question about just what sqlnet.ora does and doesn't do. What I suspect you found offensive is the bit where I remind you that documentation isn't a nice added extra, but an integral part of assessing whether something is practical and useful. I still believe that to be the case, and getting you to read it is as much offering help as anything that can be posted here by anyone.

If there are bits of the documentation that make no sense, or that raise further questions in your mind, fair enough. That's exactly what this newsgroup is all about.

HJR

> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Al Wilson" <wilson_at_email.chop.edu> wrote in message
> > > Like I said in the original post, I am not an Oracle Administrator but
> > PC
> > > person looking to make
> > > my life easier.
> >
> > I must have missed the bit that said "because I am not an Oracle
> > Administrator, just a PC person looking to make my life easier, I will
not
> > bother with the supplied documentation". Funny. I've tended to find
> > supplied documentation *makes* life easier.
> >
> > >I am working on access to the Administrator's guide.
> > >

> > Good. You will find it answers all your questions, and more besides.
> >
> > > Let me see if I have this straight, everyone:
> > > On a client workstation, I could have a SQLNET.ORA file that would
point
> > > an Oracle Names server,
> >
> > Nope. SQLNET.ORA tells Oracle *how* you wish to connect. It doesn't
> point
> > to anything in and of itself. A sqlnet.ora might include the following
> > line:
> >
> > NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES)
> >
> > ...which means, use TNSNAMES and ONAMES as resolving protocols. In that
> > order.
> >
> > > which in turn would tell the client software where to get its
> information.
> > > I could program "something" to say that if a TNSNAMES.ORA exists, it
> takes
> > > precidence over the
> > > OracleNames server.
> >
> > Nope. You still need "something" to locate the names server. That
> > something is a names.ora.
> >
> > >I see this as a good way for developers to test things
> > > without changing anything
> > > on a production NameServer box.
> > >

> > I know what you are after, and it can be done. And you are not a
million
> > miles off. And configuring all of this would be a piece of cake using
the
> > Net8 Assistant that's supplied when you install Oracle on a PC. But if
> you
> > want to actually *understand* what's going on, then the Administrator's
> > Guide is not an optional extra. Unless you fancy doing the two-day
Oracle