Re: Oracle 8.1.7 and Forms 3.0

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 20 Sep 2001 06:43:45 -0700

clang_at_mediaprint.at (Christian Lang) wrote in message news:<6cf185c9.0109200252.3dc3d59d_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> I've to Upgrade a 7.3.4.5 Database to 8.1.7.
> Aagainst the 7.3 Instance there is running a Forms 3.0 application.
>
> Is it possible to run the Forms 3.0 also against the 8.1.7 Database ?
>
> Chris

We still run DataQuery 3, which is a Forms 3 based product, against an 8.1.7 database and it mostly works. A couple of features broke. It will depend on how the forms are written and what the application does. You really should try to upgrade the application before you upgrade the database as the chance of significant problems is high. I would suggest you think about building an 8.1.7 db and testing this application against it. That will tell you what kind of service level the application will provide under the new arrangement.

If you cannot upgrade the application then if it is basically a stand-a-line system you might consider moving it into a separate 7.3.4 db and upgrading the rest. But the application needs to be upgraded or replaced and now is better than tomorrow for getting the job done.

You are not the only shop still running old code. We still use rpt and it was last provided with 7.2 and here we are at 8.1.7. But we are upgrading these to Report Writer.