Re: Switch Database to CASE INSENSITIVE mode

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 20 Sep 2001 02:38:02 -0700

"Paul CHELARU" <pchelaru_at_concord.com.au> wrote in message news:<3ba93a58$1_at_news.iprimus.com.au>...
> We want to port our applications to Oracle platform . At the moment our MS
> SQL Server or Sybase SQLAnywhere are used in CASE INSENSITIVE mode. It is
> not feasible to modify any
> sql statement to use ... where upper(column) = 'MY_STRING'. Is there any
> way to solve this problem using a server switch or may be a special
> collation .
>
> TIA
>
> Paul

No, there isn't

Of course there is a solution:
Stick to sqlserver!

Why is this question coming up over and over again?

The world is case sensitive, all over the place. Only the software of the Evil Empire is not. Apparently Microsux is brainwashing everyone using sqlserver making them basically unable to *think* and *read* in the first place.

If you don't want to use upper... or don't want to use function based indexes,
why ask this question in the first place?

Let the flames come. This type of stupid question has to stop.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Sep 20 2001 - 04:38:02 CDT