Re: oracle9i - reliable/stable?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:55:02 +1000

I can't speak for RAC or Data Guard: those things require sufficient extra boxes that my study wouldn't cope.

I can tell you, however, that 9.0.1 is as stable as I've seen any Oracle release. Every new feature they've advertised (apart from the two you've mentioned -sorry!) works. Not *quite* as advertised (suspending transactions not resuming after switching autoextend on, for example). But darned near close enough for me.

I'll be honest and say I wouldn't have touched 8.1.5 with a barge pole. The thing was riddled with, er, "unexpected features". It wouldn't surprise me if 9i had its share of entomological additions, but I haven't found them yet. Quirks, yes. Instabilities, no.

But all of this is irrelevant. You only move to 9i when you've tested it to destruction for yourself. But if you're asking if its worth investing the time for such testing, I'd have to say yes.

Regards