Re: Oracle Name server

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:56:29 +1000

"Al Wilson" <wilson_at_email.chop.edu> wrote in message news:C%4q7.7251$ym4.294149_at_iad-read.news.verio.net...
> Like I said in the original post, I am not an Oracle Administrator but a
PC
> person looking to make
> my life easier.

I must have missed the bit that said "because I am not an Oracle Administrator, just a PC person looking to make my life easier, I will not bother with the supplied documentation". Funny. I've tended to find supplied documentation *makes* life easier.

>I am working on access to the Administrator's guide.

Good. You will find it answers all your questions, and more besides.

> Let me see if I have this straight, everyone:
> On a client workstation, I could have a SQLNET.ORA file that would point
> an Oracle Names server,

Nope. SQLNET.ORA tells Oracle *how* you wish to connect. It doesn't point to anything in and of itself. A sqlnet.ora might include the following line:

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES) ...which means, use TNSNAMES and ONAMES as resolving protocols. In that order.

> which in turn would tell the client software where to get its information.
> I could program "something" to say that if a TNSNAMES.ORA exists, it takes
> precidence over the
> OracleNames server.

Nope. You still need "something" to locate the names server. That something is a names.ora.

>I see this as a good way for developers to test things
> without changing anything
> on a production NameServer box.

I know what you are after, and it can be done. And you are not a million miles off. And configuring all of this would be a piece of cake using the Net8 Assistant that's supplied when you install Oracle on a PC. But if you want to actually *understand* what's going on, then the Administrator's Guide is not an optional extra. Unless you fancy doing the two-day Oracle Networking Administration course (and it's 2 days for a reason).

Regards
HJR