Re: Oracle DBA

From: Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:30:28 GMT

B MAC <gucciard_at_bay.uh.edu> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> My goal as an IT professional is to become an Oracle DBA. My current
> job, however, does not involve databases at all. I know of a company
> that is seeking a Junior programmer. This position involves Visual C++
> and SQL programming within an Oracle database environment. In your
> experience, would this job be a good way to get me started? Or do you
> think I should get the Oracle certification first and then wait until
> junior DBA position comes along?
>
> Here's the job that is being advertised:
>
> "Establish a database oriented Visual C++ applications that utilize
> ODBC and recordsets;
> Develop SQL script within Visual C++ to access an Oracle database;
> Design and develop Documents, Views, and Dialogs;
> Utilize various MFC controls;
> Write Oracle SQL script for the creation and modification of Oracle
> tables, indexes, constraints, and keys;
> Understand the complexities of client / server Oracle database
> environments;
> Work with familiarity within a Windows NT and/or Windows 2000
> professional operating system".
>
> Thanks for any help you may give.

FWIW - I would never hire a "paper DBA"; which is a person with a "certificate" but no hands on knowledge or real world experience.

What I find interesting is that you neglected to say what YOUR experience in the IT world is or what you ENJOY doing.

I'm twice blessed. I love me job as an Oracle DBA and I get paid a six-figure income to do it.

From my perspective, everybody should do what they ENJOY doing to keep food on the table. Life is too short to be miserable 5 days a week.

In companies which have 1 or more "full time DBAs" the vast majority of those companies by count have only ONE DBA. Typically the whole company runs off the database; which means when the DB goes down, the WHOLE company ceases to function. At least this is what happens in my company. With a company that typically does $200,000 per HOUR in sales, the DBA is under extreme pressure to get the DB up & keep it up. If you don't like that kind of pressure, then maybe you don't want to become a DBA. Received on Wed Sep 19 2001 - 19:30:28 CDT