Re: getting some tech skills?

From: Larry Holt <lholt_at_atl.sita.int>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:40:44 -0400

It really depends upon what kind of work you like to do.

For system admin, network engineering, etc. you need scripting like SED AWK, PERL plus O/S commands. To be a programmer you need a language that can be compiled: C, Java. A programmer usually does not need to parse a file table and make changes while a network engineer usually does not need to push values on a stack. To decide which tool (languages really are tools) you need you need to decide what job you want to do.

Generally those who can program business applications will earn the most money but I prefer playing with hardware instead of typing at a workstation all day.

--

Larry Holt
Service Engineer

Equant