Re: Calling all Resource Manager Users...

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:44:08 GMT

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:27:20 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:

>In particular, I haven't had a Performance Tuning course yet where people
>got excited about Resource Manager -and that was the 8i version.

Probably because it was totally useless? ;-)

Seriously, I hope the one in 9i is a lot more flexible and configurable. Without needing a post-doctorate in PL/SQL to even set it up, let alone configure and operate it.

One aspect of the manager: it assumes a system where *all* applications are ideally designed and tuned and performing at their best potential. Or even correctly installed. Which in 99% of the cases bears no resemblance whatsoever with real life.

What they should be geared for is in limiting and apportioning DB resources (DB I/O, buffer cache, SQL cache, locks, index cache, temp space, rollback/redo space + usage, etc,etc). As opposed to hardware or OS resources. Then it would be possible to accurately control and predict the behaviour of a database engine. Once that is done, controlling the behaviour and throughput of an overall system is kid's stuff.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Wed Sep 19 2001 - 04:44:08 CDT