Re: Cannot Insert ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:15:58 +1000

Oddly enough, it means that the segment involved (I'd guess that there's an index here, created by virtue of having defined a unique or primary key constraint on the CUST1 table) can't find enough space to extend.

First of all, get into the habit of naming your constraints, since that SYSC00664 is what happens when they aren't named properly -and, as you've discovered, working with constraints (and hence indexes) named like this isn't the prettiest thing in the world.

Second, find out what tablespace is housing the named segment (select tablespace_name from dba segments where segment_name='C00664') and make it bigger... either add in a new datafile (alter tablespace add datafile '/bing/bong/blah/newdatafilename02.dbf' size Xm) or resize one of the existing ones.

Third, remember that whenever you define a unique key or primary key constraint on a table, an index will be created for you. You need to use the 'using indexes' clause to make sure it is housed in the right tablespace (and since you didn't get the naming right, I'll bet a cent to dollar that you didn't get the tablespace right either).

Regards