Re: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:53:27 +1000

"Manfred Rebentisch" <mr_at_comparat.de> wrote in message news:jq79o9.p52.ln_at_lxs5.comparat.intra...
> Thank you for your answer!
>
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> >
> > One of the common courses for this error is incorrect semaphore and
shared
> > memory segments settings. This will result in the database not starting
at
> > all, resulting in 3113.
> > So questions:
> > Did you check the alert.log?
>
> There is no alert.log on my system.

At the risk of being proved wrong, I'd say "rubbish". Check your init.ora. Wherever background_dump_dest is set to, there shalt thou find an alert log (and failing that, try $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/log)

> > Did you set the number of semaphores (2 times the number of processes +
5)

> Where can I set this? I use the standard-linux-kernel from SuSE-Linux 7.2
> (2.4.7), I think, there are enough semaphores. Must I configure a special
> kernel for oracle?

Have you read the installtion documentation? Even I managed to notice the requiremets to cd to /proc/sys/hernel and do a couple of "echos" to set sem and shmmax.

For what it's worth I have a half-completed installtion guide of 9i on Linux SuSe 7.2 at the following address. Obviously, with 8.1.7 the exact procedures may differ -but that's what reading the documentation is all about.

http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000/Install9i.rtf

Regards
HJR