Re: Oracle server install

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 18 Sep 2001 01:56:18 -0700

"john" <johnliqun_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<56Ap7.10075$Aa7.931194_at_news20.bellglobal.com>...
> Hi, does anybody know how to install Oracle database in Windows NT4.0 with
> SP5? I install the oracle software and choose create a new OLTP database
> with Oracle database Assistant to create a DB for me, but there are many
> errors in the process, and the main error message is " ORA-01034: Oracle not
> available".

Do you encounter any errors during Oracle SW installation ? Do you restart your system after installation ? Do you use Custom install ?

> Can I create a DB myself by writing a SQL of " create database "? If so,
> from where ?

Yes, you can. You must create init<SID>.ora file, then run sqlplus, startup nomount, run create database command, run catalog.sql and catproc.sql. That's all, no magic needed. If you do not want to write create database command manually, you can use Database Assistant and choose create script instead of build database. That's a good option, because you have more control what Database assistant doing and in the end you can archive your create database script for future use.
Because of those archived scripts I've transfered database from NT to Unix environment in no time when I needed it some time ago.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.