run in queue (Solaris)

From: Jens <superglad7_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 21:29:23 GMT

Hi all

This question should maybe go to a Solaris newsgroup but i´ve hope some DBA´s out there could answer this one pretty quick and easy.. To the question:

When running a "vmstat" on my Solaris 8 i could see a lot of "run in queue", about 30 or
more!

I´ve searched for processes and found one process containing a suspect query to the Oracle database wich contained a lot of wildcards and so on wich i´ve simply killed.
Afer this the system answered much faster.

But, now to my question, what exact does "run in queue" tell me..? After killing the process the "run in queue" wasen´t down to zero immediately but slow decreasing.
Now, after alomst 30 minutes the run in queue is down to about 3 or so and soon to be zero if i´ve know the system right.. Is this what i´ve should expect or more exactly, coul´d someone please tell me a bit more about "run in queue" and what this really means..? Regards
Jens Received on Mon Sep 17 2001 - 16:29:23 CDT