Re: Oracle Name server

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 13:14:29 GMT

> If you have set up an Oracle Names server you want the order to be : first
> the Names Server then tnsnames.

I disagree with this order. At my installation, our order is (TNSNAMES,ONAMES). This way, the client can customize their TNS configuration on their client side TNSNAMES.ORA file. Any entries found here will override what is stored in Oracle Names. This is mostly important to our development staff. This way, they can use a TNS entry to point to a development instance (as configured in their TNSNAMES file) while everyone else (using NAMES) points to the production instance. Without this ordering, the clients can not override definitions in Names. This may be desirable in some installations though.

Thanks,
Brian Received on Mon Sep 17 2001 - 08:14:29 CDT