Re: Help with clone!

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 07:14:15 +1000

"Glen A Stromquist" <gstrom_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3S3p7.35322$C57.5885757_at_news1.telusplanet.net...
> Trying to do a clone here, but I must be missing a step somewhere, here is
> what has transpired so far:
>
> created a database with same name on test machine, using db assistant to
> create the scripts, then ran them
> backup controlfile to trace on prod database, shut ii down, copied
> datafiles, redo logs, etc... to target db
> edited init.ora to match file locations etc.. most were same anyway
> edited trace file to startup nomount pfile=<path>\init.ora
> edited trace file to match new datafile locations
> deleted controlfiles from target db, but left system, rbs etc tablespaces
> intact
>
> tried to run the script and got
>

> ORA-01159 - file is not from same database as previous files - wrong
> database id
> ORA-01110 - datafile 7: 'file name>'
>
> must be something simple, what am I missing? Do I need to over write the
> system etc. tablespaces from the prod instance as well?

Of course. Otherwise, what do you think the word "clone" actually means?

The steps are:
backup controlfile to trace in database 1 Shutdown immediate on database 1
Copy all datafiles and redo logs from database 1 to location 2 Locate trace file, and edit it as you describe above (strip out rubbish, add a connect string, add "pfile=xxx" to the startup nomount line -that xxx is the location where the copy of database 1's pfile is going to be shortly). Copy init<database1>.ora to init<clone>.ora Edit init<clone>.ora so that controlfiles= new location of control files for the clone (which are about to be created), archive destinations are changed and so on
Set ORACLE_SID to be the new instance name Fire up server manager or SQL Plus
@name_of_tracefile_that's_been_edited_earlier

Regards
HJR