Re: Switch database to READ ONLY mode

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 22:09:21 +0200

"Scott" <scott_tiger75_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:53ad92d4.0109161137.4fdf8e3_at_posting.google.com...
> Greetings to all DBAs,
>
> I need to replace an Oracle 8.1.6 production server (server A) with
> another one (server B).
>
> Here's what I plan to do to achieve it :
> 1- switch server A database to READ ONLY mode to prevent any writing.
> 2- perform a full export of server A database
> 3- import the dump file into server B database
> 4- check server B is working fine and prepare it to replace server A
> 5- shutdown server A database and disconnect the machine
> 6- connect server B
>
> Do i need to shutdown the server A database to re-open it in READ ONLY
> mode with "ALTER DATABASE OPEN READ ONLY" ? Same question if I would
> like to switch my database to READ WRITE.
>
> Thanks a lot for any advices.
>
> Scott

There is no such thing as read only mode, or you must want to switch all individual tablespaces to read only.
There is however, a restricted session mode during which only users with the dba role can connect. Assuming not everyone has the dba role, I would set the the database in restricted session mode. Alter system enable_restricted_session = true

will accomplish this.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sun Sep 16 2001 - 15:09:21 CDT