Re: What means: Shared memory realm does not exist?

From: <johnt_at_tman.dnsalias.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 14:01:18 GMT

Some One Else <algernon_at_spamcop.net> wrote:
> Hello,

> I've looked all over the net and through the various Oracle and Linux
> documentation, but can't find anywhere that discusses in detail what kernel
> parameters are available for tweaking shared memory and how to do it.
> Based on a page designed for 9i, here's what I've put in my rc.local file:

> echo 250 32000 100 128 > /proc/sys/kernel/sem
> echo 256000000 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

That looks about right.

> This doesn't do the trick. I don't think Oracle is starting up at all based
> on what I'm seeing from "ps -A | grep ora" .

What kind of error do you see? Are you sure that your Oracle env variables are set OK, esp ORACLE_SID? Try doing "set | grep -i ora".

One way to startup..
sqlplus /nolog
connect sys/xxx as sysdba
startup

Are you sure your initparms are available. Basically if your SID is DB1, this line should dump out your initfile... "cat $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initDB1.ora". Usually there is a symlink at that location pointint to the real location of the initfile.

See anything in your alert log file?

Are you running a certified Linux distribution? E.g. latest SUSE or RedHat?

Those are some of the things to look for.

> I notice in your example that you use a 'bc' command as part of the piping.
> What does this do for you? Trying 'man bc' gets me no info.

Basically changes "512 * 1024^2" to a real number. The way you are doing it above you should have no need for bc.

user_at_srv1:~ > echo "256 * 1024^2" | bc
268435456

which is exactly 256MB.

JT. Received on Sun Sep 16 2001 - 09:01:18 CDT