Re: What means: Shared memory realm does not exist?

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 15 Sep 2001 18:18:40 -0700

"koert54" <koert54_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2_Po7.55686$6x5.12000751_at_afrodite.telenet-ops.be>...
> Basically the process your launching can not attach to the shared memory
> area that represents your SGA - thus you're using IPC (shared
> memory + semaphores) instead of for example TCPIP sockets to communicate
> with the database ... meaning - your running the client process on the same
> machine as your server and either your ORACLE_HOME or ORACLE_SID is not
> correctly set...
>

> "Some One Else" <algernon_at_spamcop.net> wrote in message
> >
> > In Linux (LM*), I had Oracle 8.1.7 running at least once. Don't know what
> > I've bumped, but now all I get in a typical session is:
> >
> > == SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on ...
> > ==
> > == (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
> > ==
> > == Enter user-name: scott/tiger
> > == ERROR:
> > == ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> > == ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
> > == Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory
> >
> > Looking up the error number does no good. What does it mean that the
> > 'shared memory realm does not exist'. What are typical causes?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

It is quite possible the 01034 is telling you the truth and Oracle is no longer running and needs to be restarted.

Try issuing ps -ef | grep ora_ and look for pmon, smon, dbwr etc...

If Oracle is running and you just cannot connect then look at your environment settings and try checking the listener status.