Re: Linux Problem

From: Rhasta <john_at_doe.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 22:43:03 GMT

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:40:52 +0200, Manuela Mueller <520040906697-0001_at_t-online.de> wrote:

>Hi Justin,
>please provide your Linux-Distribution name, there are differences
>between
>the distributions. It is possible to install Oracle under every
>distribution,
>but on some distributions, you have to take slight different approaches.
>In the meantime a generic answer:
><snip>
>>I meet the hardware requirement but software, it's another story.
></snip>
>Look at the Oracle documentation, installation manual to make sure that
>your
>Linux-box meets the requirements.
>Do not mix up JRE (needed for Universal Installer) and JDK (needed for
>HTTP-Server).
>
>This URL deals with installation on RedHat 7.0
>http://jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle/817.html
>
>this with RedHat 7.1:
>http://www.thomasfly.com/Oranux/
>
>Check your installation log file, and do not try to create a database
>during the installation of the software. This is a known problem.
>Regards
>Manuela Mueller

Hi.. thanks for replying.

I am using Slackware 8, kernel 2.4.9 and glibc 2.2.3.

I choosed a custom installation, and only removed advanced security and added Unix docs. I do not create a database when installing.

Installation goes fine, except for the root.sh script that needs a few things fixed manually (need "" around 2nd occurence of RMF= and also had to replace RUID line with RUID=root because of a missing `), the Net8 configuration assistant runs without problem, the listener and the Apache server are started successfully.

Now it is where I don't know what to do. If I try to run netasst or dbassist, the jre proces just eats all cpu cycle and does nothing else.

I installed the glibc stubs and ran the setup-stubs.sh script, no errors there, but it changes nothing in netasst or dbassist appetite.

I tried with Blackdown's JDK118_v3 and JRE118-glibc-2.1.3 (not sure of the 2nd filename) as JAVA_HOME and it is always the same.

In despair, I tried replacing the /home/oracle/jre/1.1.8 that comes with oracle with Blackdown's and added "linux" symlinks in both bin and lib directory. netasst starts and I can setup a few things but name servers options makes it crashes with a segfault. dbassist, again, only eats all cpu cycle (jre does).

I read (unfortunetaly too fast) something about green vs native threads with jre. Something about changing "native" occurences with "green". In blackdown's jre/jdk, there is a greeen_threads directory, but not in Oracles'.

Justin Received on Sat Sep 15 2001 - 17:43:03 CDT