Looking for architectural suggestions

From: Frugal Sam <frugalsam_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 20:10:45 GMT

Hello

We have a star-schema holding General Ledger data extracted from our Oracle GL application. Let's say this star-schema is in an Oracle database called GLDB. We are in the process of developing another "client" application (let's call it QRYDB) which, at a certain time during the month, needs to query GLDB. QRYDB will be in a separate database. The queries sent from QRYDB can be broken down into a set of parameters that could be sent to a GLDB procedure which in turn would return 1 numeric value (an amount) to the calling program.

We are currently considering 2 options of getting the data out of GLDB.

Option 1

Use Oracle Db-Links to send queries to GLDB. The downsides to this, of course, are :
1. Knowledge about the "server" GLDB database used to formulate the queries resides in the "client" application
2. Usage of db-links would slow things down considerably

Option 2

Have the "server" application (on GLDB) expose an API consisting of stored procedures / functions calls. Queries from QRYDB would use db-links to call these database program units which execute on GLDB and return a value to the calling program. Not only would this ensure encapsulation of knowledge about GLDB database structures within GLDB, the db-links would just be conduits for messages instead of queries and data.

How do you handle inter-database queries ?

Would also appreciate any thoughts on avoiding inter-database queries altogether and managing this interaction using UNIX based messaging using some programming language.

Thank you. Received on Sat Sep 15 2001 - 15:10:45 CDT