Re: Failing to install Oracle under Redhat would SUSE be more easy ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 06:05:06 +1000

Hi Desmond:

I'm afraid I have never encountered such errors, and my Linux skills are sufficiently pathetic that I can honestly state that I haven't a clue what's causing them. Perhaps a more Linux-knowledgeable poster here can help.

I do know, however, that if the error message is genuinely referring to '$Oracle_HOME' instead of '$ORACLE_HOME', then it will be because you haven't set up your environment variables properly... Linux is case sensitive (as are all Unixes), and when the documentation says the variable must be set as 'ORACLE_HOME', they mean 'all in upper case, and not some mixture of your own choosing'.

But if that's not it, I can't help you.

Regards
HJR "Desmond" <ddl76_at_singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:9nvi9l$6p7$1_at_violet.singnet.com.sg...
> Sir,
>
> I manage to get the installer up and running. But at the end of the
> installation, I get errors like with the error message like "Error in
> invoking target install of makefile" like the files
>
> <$Oracle_HOME>/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk
>
> <$Oracle_HOME>/rdbms/lib/precomp/ins_precomp.mk
>
> etc.....
>
> Have you encounter this problems?
>
> Thanks
> Desmond
>

> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message
> > I have no idea, I'm afraid. You'll have to do an amazingly hard thing
and
> > *read the documentation*! I've not installed the 9i client, just the
> > server. And editing a few kernel parameters is not the same thing as
> > recompiling the kernel anyway, is it?
> >
> > From a very quick perusal of the installation guide, the stuff about
> 'tasks
> > to perform as the root user' (which includes changing those parameters)
is
> > generic: ie, it doesn't matter whether you are only installing the
client
> or
> > the entire thing, you still have to do them.
> >
> > YMMV
> > Regards
> > HJR
> >

> > "Desmond" <ddl76_at_singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
> > > You mean I have to recompile the kernel and do all those horried stuff
> > just
> > > to get the installer up and install the Oracle client?
> > >
> > > I just need the Oracle client. Isn' that troublesome?
> > >

> > > "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message

> minutes
> about

> > install,