Re: Failing to install Oracle under Redhat would SUSE be more easy ?

From: Desmond <ddl76_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 20:45:40 +0800

Sir,

I manage to get the installer up and running. But at the end of the installation, I get errors like with the error message like "Error in invoking target install of makefile" like the files

<$Oracle_HOME>/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk

<$Oracle_HOME>/rdbms/lib/precomp/ins_precomp.mk

etc.....

Have you encounter this problems?

Thanks
Desmond

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:3ba10e55_at_news.iprimus.com.au...
> I have no idea, I'm afraid. You'll have to do an amazingly hard thing and
> *read the documentation*! I've not installed the 9i client, just the
> server. And editing a few kernel parameters is not the same thing as
> recompiling the kernel anyway, is it?
>
> From a very quick perusal of the installation guide, the stuff about
'tasks
> to perform as the root user' (which includes changing those parameters) is
> generic: ie, it doesn't matter whether you are only installing the client
or
> the entire thing, you still have to do them.
>
> YMMV
> Regards
> HJR
>

> "Desmond" <ddl76_at_singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
> > You mean I have to recompile the kernel and do all those horried stuff
> just
> > to get the installer up and install the Oracle client?
> >
> > I just need the Oracle client. Isn' that troublesome?
> >

> > "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message
> > > Why not read the documentation?
> > >
> > > Is 8.1.7 certified for Linux 7.1?
> > >
> > > If it is, have you followed the installation procedures properly?
> > >
> > > If I, a mere Windows user, can knock up a 9i installation in 40
minutes
> > > these days, then it can't be that difficult -and I know bugger all
about
> > > Linux.
> > >
> > > You have to perform various actions as root before attempting the
> install,
> > > including setting the kernel parameters properly, and setting group
and
> > > ownership permissions correctly. Then you need to make sure the
oracle
> > > user's profile is correctly set with appropriate environment variable
> > > settings. And you have to make sure you are using the correct version
> of
> > > the glibc libraries, and have the right JRE installed.
> > >
> > > Get that lot right, and it should be plain sailing.
> > >
> > > So rather than "it's the distro's fault" or "Oracle's support for
linux
> is
> > > crap", what and where exactly is it falling down? Something you are
> doing
> > > or not doing is [probably] the root cause.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > HJR
> > >

> > > "Kim" <kim_at_costa.no> wrote in message

is
SUSE