Re: Oracle Name server

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 14:40:40 +1000

"Dino Hsu" <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote in message news:oai5qtst97u9i1v3ic4kiie14l531vlf6n_at_4ax.com...
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 08:52:02 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers"
> <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
>
> >Nope.
> >
> >Did you actually read the Net8 Administrator's guide, as suggested?
> >
> >tnsnames can be both server and client side. sqlnet likewise.
> >
> >It all depends...
> >
> >HJR
> >

> Howard,
>
> Although sqlnet.ora exists both on client and server sides,
> tnsnames.ora is a client side configuration, and belongs to the
> name-resolved-locally (local naming method) in contrast to other
> name-resolved-on-server methods (name or directory services).

And how often do you teach your grandmother to suck eggs, Dino?

Tnsnames.ora is both server AND client.

You may notice a parameter in an 8i init.ora called 'local_listener'. That's there so your Instance can register with the listener. How do you think the Instance knows how to contact the listener?... because that parameter gives it the tnsnames alias for the connection, from which it can work out the port number ... *provided it can read a tnsnames.ora to resolve the alias*... and all of that is happening on the *server* side.

Oh -and whilst you're at it, you might pause to wonder how the hell ARCH resolves a 'service=' instruction for, for example, a 'log_archive_dest_1=(SERVICE=HJR)' parameter. Good Lord! Yes... it's that damned tnsnames.ora alias again. Guess ARCH might need a copy of that too, then.

>We can
> see tnsnames.ora on a Windows NT server, but it is never the less a
> client side configuration (we normally cannot install a DB server
> without a DB client, can we?). The sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora will
> probably be located on the same directory on the server (say,
> c:\oracle\ora81\network\admin), but we need to keep in minds whether
> this is a client side or server side configuration, or both.
>
> Dino

Go read some more on the subject, Dino.

HJR Received on Fri Sep 14 2001 - 23:40:40 CDT