Re: Oracle Name server

From: Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 11:32:15 +0800

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 08:52:02 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:

>Nope.
>
>Did you actually read the Net8 Administrator's guide, as suggested?
>
>tnsnames can be both server and client side. sqlnet likewise.
>
>It all depends...
>
>HJR

Howard,

Although sqlnet.ora exists both on client and server sides, tnsnames.ora is a client side configuration, and belongs to the name-resolved-locally (local naming method) in contrast to other name-resolved-on-server methods (name or directory services). We can see tnsnames.ora on a Windows NT server, but it is never the less a client side configuration (we normally cannot install a DB server without a DB client, can we?). The sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora will probably be located on the same directory on the server (say, c:\oracle\ora81\network\admin), but we need to keep in minds whether this is a client side or server side configuration, or both.

Dino Received on Fri Sep 14 2001 - 22:32:15 CDT