Re: Oracle Name server

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 00:51:08 +0200

"Al Wilson" <wilson_at_email.chop.edu> wrote in message news:vIuo7.6925$ym4.277752_at_iad-read.news.verio.net...
> So let me understand this...
> I know TNSNAMES.ORA resides on the client workstation. Does that mean
that
> that SQLNET.ORA resides on an Oracle server?
> "Chuck Hamilton" <chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

No,
sqlnet.ora determines some basic net8 configuration parameters. Both client and server need it.
sqlnet.ora determines in which order a service name will be resolved. The default order is : first using tnsnames.ora then using Oracle Names. If you have set up an Oracle Names server you want the order to be : first the Names Server then tnsnames.
sqlnet.ora contains also the address of the names server so the client can contact it.
Please read the manual as indicated above.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Sep 14 2001 - 17:51:08 CDT