Re: Is there a view that i can use to check if alter table ...(buffer_pool keep) is working ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 08:39:41 +1000

"Owen" <brandonfair_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:20e5d4a1.0109131253.3ba0ea5c_at_posting.google.com...
> Is there a view that I can check to see if a table has been
> cached to the KEEP?
> V$SHARED_POOL_RESERVED does not seem to work.

What, precisely, are you trying to do? Because your question as stated makes little sense.

Tables (or, rather, blocks from them) are cached in the Buffer Cache, not the Shared Pool, so quite what you think v$shared_pool...anything is going to achieve for you is difficult to say.

What's more, tables cannot be *guaranteed* to be 'kept' in the Buffer Cache, ever. No amount of the use of the 'cache' clause is going to achieve that, and neither is the use of a KEEP buffer pool (assuming version 8 and above). These things can *tend* to make things stay in memory, but a huge full table scan is still likely to flush them out.

But DBA_TABLES will tell you whether you've used the 'cache' key word, and what buffer pool (if you use them) it goes in. But that will merely tell you how you defined your table, not whether a table is actually in the Buffer Cache or not. Try v$bh for that.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Sep 14 2001 - 17:39:41 CDT