Re: Recovering tablespaces

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 13 Sep 2001 06:48:32 -0700

shayonie_at_yahoo.com (Sayoni) wrote in message news:<193efa9b.0109122159.42a4bade_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi, I am a new dba-in-making if i may say so...I have a few questions
> that i would appreciate if someone could throw some light on.
> 1. What happens if you lose a datafile belonging to the TEMP tblspace?
> how would you recover it?

TEMP tablespace will be unavailable and Oracle will use SYSTEM tablespace for this purpose, which is indeed a bad thing. Just recreate TEMP tablespace and everything should be OK.

> 2. What happens if you lose a datafile belonging to the INDEX
> tblspace? how would you recover it?

That's more serious, you need to recreate that tablespace. However you'll lost your indexes, which can be really bad, because it can cost a lot of time to create a new ones and your application will not be available at that time due to catastrophic performance.

> 3. What happens if you lose the alert.log. how would you recover it?

Nothing, that's just log. Oracle will create a new one. Only problem is that you'll lost history of messages, which can be a pretty good source for tuning or solving problems.

> 4. when would you use raw partitions?

That heavily depend on platform used.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.