Re: Recovering tablespaces

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Sep 2001 05:32:37 -0700

The answers I am going to give to your questions is by no means the only way to perform the recoveries:
1. Losing the TEMP tablespace, as long as there were no permanent objects stored in it, which there shouldn't be, I would drop and recreate temp. TEMP tablespace should have their storage be set to TEMPORARY not PERMANENT.
2. I would first see if it was on tape and perform a tablespace recovery. Otherwise, if you had all of the ddl for the indexes and there were no tables in that index tablespace, you could just drop and recreate the indexes.
3. There is really no way to recover what was in the alert log from the time it was last backed up to the time of losing it, once it's gone, it's gone, unless it's on a mirrored drive. It also depends on the failure, i.e. disk failure or someone deleted it. I would not worry about it too much.
4. I don't know much about raw partitions, but, my perspective is only use them if the highest possible performance is critical to business. Using raw devices can get ugly(to a degree).

Also, I recommend reading Oracle documentation on Backup and Recovery, this should help.

HTH
Pete's