Re: 8.0.5.0.0 and bitmap-index

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 13 Sep 2001 04:43:11 -0700

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<tpv4ors78v1u1c_at_news.demon.nl>...
> "Harald Buesching" <harald.buesching.hb_at_germany.agfa.com> wrote in message
> > We are running 8.0.5.0.0 on NT. Because the application is a kind of
> > Data Warehouse system, we should use 'bitmap-indexes' and 'parallel
> > Select', but Oracle turned them off 3 years ago when they installed
> > the machine.
> > While reading the readme.txt from the Patch 8.0.5.2.6 I discovered
> > that there are lots of bugs with 'bitmap-indexes' and 'parallel
> > Select'. Could it be true that you shouldn't use these features in
> > 8.0.5.0.0 ?
> > Is 8.0.5.2.6 okay?
> > After I'll get access to the machine in about 2 months I'll install
> > the two features and directly afterward the patch. Some comments?
>

> 8.0.5 has been desuppported more than a year ago.
> 8.0.6 will follow end of this month
> 8.1.6 end of next month.
>
> Upgrade to 8.1.7 or get extended assistance support for Oracle.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

I knew it ! I knew it ! When I readed original post I thought: after Sybrand will read this, he'll post one of his famous desupportation messages. And I was (of course) right. ;-) to Mr. Harald: I can give you only one answer, try yourself. If I recorded correctly, 8.0.5.0.0 had some serious bugs, so upgrade to 8.0.5.2.6 is obviously a good idea. I think that bitmap indexes then should work. Yes Sybrand is right and 8.1.7 is much better, but I can understand reasons for not upgrading right now.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.