Sv: Memory limit for Win2000 and Oracle 8.1.7

From: Jesper Wolf Jespersen <jwj_at_ehuset.com.spam>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:34:53 +0200

Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com> skrev i en nyhedsmeddelelse:7FVn7.479$JN.3438_at_news1.sttls1.wa.home.com...
> Sounds like those pl/sql packages might be using a lot of in memory
> structures like types that are defined as tables and hence get read into
> memory.
> Are you making large in memory structures in the pl/sql?
> Jim

Hello Jim.

You hit the nail on the head :-)

We use PL/SQL tables alot. This is in oracle speak named collections.

The technique involves creating datatypes on the database and using tables of these types for calculations and lastly defining views that present these results to the database clients.

These clients then need not be able to handle collections (PL/SQL tables), they just call a database package and read the result from a view.

Everything happens in the Oracle servers memory, no disk write is inbvolved. this is good for performance but bad for memory requirements.

We tried rewriting this for using global temporary tables and with small amounts of data there is a performance increase, this made us optimistical we hoped to cure two problems at once.
Extended tests unfortunately showed for the normal range of calculations the collection approach outperforms the temporary table approach by a wide margin.

So we are memory bound and since we cannot easyly switch platform we still have to solve this problem of how to make Oracle 8.1.7 and Windows 2000 access more than 4 GB of ram.

Greetings from Denmark.

Jesper Wolf Jespersen Received on Thu Sep 13 2001 - 04:34:53 CDT