Sv: Memory limit for Win2000 and Oracle 8.1.7

From: Jesper Wolf Jespersen <jwj_at_ehuset.com.spam>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:18:43 +0200

Hi again.

GoAuto <ddemox_at_yahoo.com> skrev i en
nyhedsmeddelelse:c6605664.0109122248.307b2af3_at_posting.google.com...
> > Hello to you all.
> >
> > First off the platform choise is not mine to make, I just like to know
if we
> > are heading into trouble :-)
> >

> Hi,
>
> Can you use this:
>
> Oracle8i Support for Very Large Memory (VLM) Configurations
> A new feature in Oracle8i for Windows NT is support for Very Large
> Memory (VLM) configurations, which allows Oracle8i to access more than
> the 4 gigabyte (GB) of RAM traditionally available to Windows NT
> applications.

> Note:
> This feature is only available on Intel Pentium II and Pentium III
> Xeon 32-bit processor.

> Specifically, Oracle8i Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 4.0 (in
> conjunction with Intel's PSE36 driver) can now allocate substantially
> more database buffers than previous releases. Further details are
> posted at:
>
> http://www.intel.com/ebusiness/server/resources/pentiumii/xeon/esma.pdf

The information is interesting but unfortunately the link does not work. I found information on the site on ESMA, which seems to allow the application to put data outside the 4 GB limit, but it seems to require the the application has facilities to exploit this, that the correct driver is installed and that the processor is a XEON type.

Now this gives us three new questions:

1) Can Oracle 8.1.7 exploit the ESMA interface.
2) Is the esma interface available under Windows2000 advanced server.
3) Is the hardware kompatible (now this I can find out :-)

There is an initialization parameter USE_INDIRECT_DATA_BUFFERS that might let us move part of the SGA outside the 4 GB memory range.

This will free a lot of memory if it works :-)

Has anyone tried this on Win200 ?

Greetings from Denmark

Jesper Wolf Jespersen Received on Thu Sep 13 2001 - 04:18:43 CDT