Re: moving a database from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 11 Sep 2001 05:18:29 -0700

Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message news:<9nklir$m7h$1_at_nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE>...
> Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
> : "Christoph Kukulies" <kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message
> : news:9n04kl$5qs$1_at_nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE...
> :> Bruno Jargot <see_at_reply.to.invalid> wrote:
> :> : On 30 Aug 2001 16:43:53 GMT, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
> :> :>Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote:
> :> :>: On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl wrote:
>
> :> :>: Chris,
>
> :> :>: I think I would use exp/imp for this, but you might have really
> :> :>
> :> :>
> :> :>When using at the command line:
> :> :>
> :> :>exp80 system/manager file=x log=x full=y
> :>
> :>
> :> I found that I got to do
> :>
> :> exp80 sys/<passwd>@database file=x log=y full=y
> :>
> :> to address the database/instance I want to export.
> :>
> :> What would be taken if I omit @database?
> :>
>

> : The same thing that gets 'taken' every time you do a 'connect
> : system/manager' in SQL Plus without the tns alias (which is what the
> : '@database' bit is known as)... whatever the ORACLE_SID environment variable
> : is set to (assuming that the tnsnames.ora file correctly identifies such a
> : database, and correctly explains how the hell to connect to it).
>
> Thanks to all who helped so great.
>
> While being at this 'tns alias': How would the syntax be
> when there is no alias defined? E.g. I know the host and the ORACLE_SID
> the database is running on. Often there is not yet an entry in tnsnames.ora
> or the file was edited by hand and there is an error in tnsnames.ora.
>
> Then it could be useful to know how to get to the database without all the
> Oracle naming and aliasing stuff inbetween.
>
> something like user/password_at_TNS:<someting> I seem to recall.
>

> : Regards
> : HJR
That <someting> is the service name.
Any more 'smart' ideas? If you have a corrupt tnsnames.ora, you should resolve that problem, instead of trying to hack around it. The documentation is quite clear on how to connect to your database, and it also wants to be read by people using Oracle.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Sep 11 2001 - 07:18:29 CDT