Re: Failing to install Oracle under Redhat would SUSE be more easy ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 19:38:03 +1000

Why not read the documentation?

Is 8.1.7 certified for Linux 7.1?

If it is, have you followed the installation procedures properly?

If I, a mere Windows user, can knock up a 9i installation in 40 minutes these days, then it can't be that difficult -and I know bugger all about Linux.

You have to perform various actions as root before attempting the install, including setting the kernel parameters properly, and setting group and ownership permissions correctly. Then you need to make sure the oracle user's profile is correctly set with appropriate environment variable settings. And you have to make sure you are using the correct version of the glibc libraries, and have the right JRE installed.

Get that lot right, and it should be plain sailing.

So rather than "it's the distro's fault" or "Oracle's support for linux is crap", what and where exactly is it falling down? Something you are doing or not doing is [probably] the root cause.

Regards