Database link problem.

From: Ray Teale <ray_at_REMOVETOREPLYholly.com.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 14:21:27 +1000

Hi

Can anybody explain why the following happens:

I create a database link called HOST_A on machine 1 as

'create database link HOST_A connect to scott identified by tiger using
'HOST_A';
When I check the DB_LINK attribute of the USER_DB_LINKS table the value is "HOST_A.XX.COM.AU". ie the domain name has been appended to the database link name.
Everything is fine and works a treat. I drop the link 'drop database link HOST_A;' without a problem and recreate it again.

Now on machine 2, if I create the same link and view the DB_LINK value in the USER_DB_LINKS table, it is named just "HOST_A" I can drop and recreate it the same way.

The question is: what causes my environment on machine1 to append XX.COM.AU to the name of the link, and not to the link on machine 2. The tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files on both machines are identical, I believe.

Thanks for your help

Ray Received on Mon Sep 10 2001 - 23:21:27 CDT