Slow Oracle response from WAN

From: Rob Trefz <rob_trefz_at_pleasantco.com>
Date: 10 Sep 2001 14:22:48 -0700

Hi-
I'm expierencing a problem with users at my remote sites saving data to our database. When users save the application data to the database, it takes ~ 3.5 minutes for the data to be saved. During this time, the users can do nothing on their computers. At our local site, it takes considerably less time.

Network activity is light. approximatly 25% of our bandwidth is being used. When I ping the server where the database resides, the response is <10ms.

When I use TNSping to the database from the remote site, most responses are ~ 150 ms. However 1 in 5 of the responses is at to 880-980 ms range. If I perform TNSping from the local site, the response is ~150 ms, with no spikes.

The form we are using is a default form from Oracle, with a large ammount

My questions are:

  1. Has anyone seen this before? If so, how did you fix it?
  2. Does anyone have any network tuning tips? I'm wondering if Oracle needs to be given a higher priority across the network

System information

Oracle client 7.34, 16 bit version
Clients running on NT workstations, with SP 5 T1 connection between remote sites and local sites DB residing on Unix server Oracle server version 7.34

Thanks in advance!

Rob Trefz Received on Mon Sep 10 2001 - 16:22:48 CDT