Re: UTF8 vs AL16UTF16

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:37:12 -0700

I'm not an expert on globalization support (the new name for NLS in 9i) by any means, but one thing I can tell you is that there's a stricter definition of the Unicode 3 standard than UTF8 called AL32UTF8. UTF8 is still supported for backward comaptibility, but the recommendation is to use the AL32UTF8 character set for the database character set.

On your original question I believe both UTF8 versions are variable width while the AL16UTF16 character set if fixed width. What you might want to do is use the AL32UTF8 character set as the database character set (thus saving storage) and define the national character set to be AL16UTF16 for NCHAR columns.

--
HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete
Author of "Oracle8i: Architecture and Administration Exam Cram"
Now got a life back again that the book is released!

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
"Oh no, it's not. It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA
"Cristian Veronesi" <c.veronesi_at_crpa.it> wrote in message
news:3B9C63E6.C01C1B22_at_crpa.it... UTF8 and AL16UTF16: which one is better for storing NCHAR data in Oracle 9.0.1 and why? Thanks in advance. Have a nice day. -- Cristian Veronesi ><((((º> http://www.crpa.it
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu)..." [Linus Torvalds, comp.os.minix, 25-08-1991]