Re: How to exchange data with Oracle?

From: Pete Finnigan <pete_at_peterfinnigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:54:49 +0100

Hi

I once used MS Access as a middle layer for a data migration from IBM AIX Oracle 8.0.5 - MS Access then to a database ( sorry cannot remember the name) on an AS400. I created views in Oracle giving the same shape of tables as in the AS400. Then created two ODBC connections from MS Access. Then created select into's in MS Access and read straight from the views in Oracle to the AS400. Access ran on a 500Mhz Dell, and the preformance of the whole thing suprised me so we went with it for the full data migration.

This was a simple solution for a data migration, it may help you do do similar.

I have also looked at very expensive tools such as Prism and something junction a few years ago for a different company. They were good but took very expensive amounts of consultancy to set up.

hope this helps

cheers

Pete Finnigan
www.pentest-limited.com

In article <3b9a2689.8208894_at_news>, Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au. nospam> writes

--
Pete Finnigan
IT Security Consultant

Office  01565 830 990