9i database hangs

From: Alan Leslie <ajleslie_at_genie.co.uk>
Date: 10 Sep 2001 02:40:13 -0700

We're currently testing out an Oracle 9i database (running on Suse 7.1), just to see how it handles the load that we'll be requiring. It's an out-of-the-box install - we haven't changed any of the initialization parameters.

What we're finding is that multiple connections with a simple JDBC client (all accessing the same table) seems to hang the database. Anything up to about 10 concurrent connections seems to be OK, but once you start getting to 50 connections then the database just hangs completely. We did an strace on the process and it just seems to be stuck doing calls to getTimeOfDay() and poll().

As a sanity check I tried to run exactly the same code (with the same JDBC drivers), on Oracle 8i installed on NT (again, just out-of-the-box), and it worked well.

Has anybody else come across this problem, or can anybody suggest a fix? Received on Mon Sep 10 2001 - 04:40:13 CDT